- 300g of Martry Mill wholemeal flour
- 200g plain white flour
- 500ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp bicarbonate soda
- Combine all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Mix ¾ of the buttermilk into the dry ingredients.
- Gradually add enough of the remainder to make a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Put into a well-greased 900g loaf tin and cover loosely with tinfoil.
- Bake at 220◦C for 1 hour approx., covering for the last 5 minutes.
- An egg is optional addition. It acts as an enriching and binding agent. Depending on personal taste some people prefer the bread without an egg.
- Add 1 Tbsp of black treacle or brown sugar, 50g of dried cranberries & a small handful of mixed seeds.
- Add 1 Tbsp of black treacle or brown sugar, 50g of dried apricot & a small handful of chopped walnuts.
- Add 1 Tbsp of black treacle or brown sugar, 50g of chopped dates & a handful of a diced up apple.
- Add a squeeze of honey to sweeten the mixture.
- Add a small fistful of chia seeds, porridge oats or sesame seeds to the mix, also sprinkle on top.
- Add 2 mashed bananas to turn your wholemeal brown bread into wholemeal banana brown bread.
Variations are limited only by imagination. Quantities of additions are not critical.